Mother's Day

Thursday, 30 March 2017

This past weekend, we celebrated Mother's Day.  Family came home from abroad, we stayed at my sister's house and over a long, leisurely, lunch celebrated the amazing woman who is our Mother.  

I'm so proud of her and don't want to wait until after she's gone to tell her how much she is loved and means to me.  We lost my wonderful Dad to cancer a few years ago but I can't talk about my Mam without my Dad.  The ultimate team, together they were one.  She faced her recent diagnosis (file under things that suck: MSA) with dignity and courage.  More worried about how we would all cope.

One of the strongest, hard working, kind, caring and funny women I know. Dad was king of the typical Dad jokes but my Mam is actually hilarious!  I couldn't be prouder to be her daughter.  Always there with pride, love and support, forever in my corner, pushing me to work hard and be my best.  I'm adopted so I can't look forward to being in my early 70s with the most amazing unblemished skin or her cute button nose but she's the quiet force behind me that makes me well me. 

 I got my love for the finer things from my Mama.  A self confessed skincare snob and have I created a monster because she's now far too fond of Tom Ford lipsticks...  My earliest memories are of watching her do her skincare routine.  Clarins skincare, Chanel No. 5 and Estee Lauder's Knowing fragrances will forever hold a special place in my heart.  Rummaging through her jewellery box, wearing her pearls. Trips into town after school on a Friday, Marks and Spencers clothes (I mock, gotta love 80s fashion but I bought some knitwear in there recently...)  and Clarks Magic Steps Shoes with the hidden key.

So yes I'm adopted but no, she's not my adoptive Mother, she's simply Mam and I'm so incredibly lucky that she's mine.  We don't know what the future holds but we will cherish her (and confiscate the bell I gave her, rookie error!) Life is a little different now, living with and helping along with wonderful carers and my siblings to look after her.  How was YOUR Friday night?  Form an orderly queue boys!  While weekends may now involve watching the Late Late and questionable dance competitions with my family, I wouldn't have it any other way.  

I wasn't sure whether to hit publish on this post.  Will anyone read it?  I don't really care.  So yeah, life's a little different but as long as Mam is in it, we have no reason to complain.

1 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed reading this, Michelle. Your Mam sounds ace - but then, aren't all Irish Mammies! Dealing with a diagnosis like that can't be easy but it sounds like you are all rallying round and cherishing her like she deserves xx

    Beautylymin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
If you have any questions, you can ask me on Twitter @LuxeAspirations