The Edit #14: Xen-Tan Fake Tan Routine

Tuesday, 5 March 2013



Today’s post is on a subject very close to my heart (no, not lipsticks) fake tan!  I’m naturally quite pale, NC15 in MAC for reference, so I rely on tan so I don’t look too deathly white.  I haven’t been tanning that much recently but if I’ve got a night out or special occasion planned I hit the (fake tan) bottle!

Here is what I do to ensure I’m nice and golden:


The night before I plan on slapping on the tan, I have a shower, exfoliate and then apply a rich moisturiser.  I love the Neom Body Scrub which I have reviewed in depth here but as this has oils in it, I don’t use this when tanning.  I use one of those poof things from Boots.  I then apply my favourite body lotion - Jergens Skin Firming Cream.  Now I don’t know if it does firm but it leaves my skin really soft and dries instantly.  Exfoliating removes all traces of any old tan I may still have, gets red of dead skin cells (nice!)  Using a cream, ensures that there are no dry areas for the tan to cling to.  I think these are the most important steps as it preps your skin so it’s smooth and soft and ready to be bronzed up.  I pay most attention to areas that are typically drier, like elbows and knees.  


Then the following night, I use a mitt and apply the false tan erm liberally.  I’m currently throwing on the Xen Tan Deep Bronze Luxe - it develops to a beautiful colour almost olive rather than orange toned, doesn’t dry my skin out and lasts about a week.  I prefer to fake tan and then let the colour develop over night.  So hair piled on top of my head, baggy pjs, looking slightly tangoed…  The next morning, I rinse the guide colour off and am left with a nice golden glow.  There is a fine line between so pale I’m almost transparent and looking like an OOmpa Loompa…


To maintain the colour, I take care not to use oil based products during the week as I find they can make it go patchy and then I apply body cream daily to help it last.  If I think it needs to be topped up, I’ll use the St. Tropez gradual tanner.  For my face, I use the Clarins Liquid Bronze Self Tanning Lotion, it’s fuss free and easy to use and more importantly it doesn’t break me out.


I get the Xen-Tan from Debenhams and everything else from Boots.  So that’s it, do you false tan, what do you use?

16 comments :

  1. I love S&P Sugar Crush for exfoliating! Great routine, much better than mine. I always use instant tan (a nightmare when it decides to rain!) but I think I'll be investing in some St Tropez gradual with Spring coming up :)

    Amy x
    www.amodernminute.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fair play, I could never use instant, I'm a disaster :)

      Delete
  2. im a new beauty blogger & i would enjoy it if you check out my blog & follow if you like :)

    xxx http://rorolovesbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm following on Bloglovin' and blame you that I really want Mac's Please Me lipstick now :)

      Delete
  3. I love xen tan dark lotion its a great colour! another nice natural colour is vita liberata or sienna x :)

    following you on gfc now!

    Hayley x

    www.onewaytickettogorgeous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh must try Vita Liberate, have heard good things about that! I follow your blog on Bloglovin', your makeup collection? Jealous!

      Delete
  4. Really interesting! I love sienna colour!
    Would you like to visit my blog?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh Sugar Crush - the love of my life hehe! :)) I love it! Great tanning routine!

    XO,
    http://www.rosychicc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, I didn't like the scent at first but I love it now :)

      Delete
  6. Well, this one is clearly not for me, as I was born with a tan ;) lol

    bisous,
    Natasha

    www.bisousnatasha.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love sugar crush! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like the smell at first but it's a grower, I don't know how many times I've repurchased it :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
If you have any questions, you can ask me on Twitter @LuxeAspirations